Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The redundancy e-mails

I've been made redundant. I didn't like my job, but it's still not very pleasant. The worst part is that they rob you of the opportunity to say:

"Yeah, well you can take your job and stuff it right up your arse."

I worked for the company for five years, but never had any kind of contract (not through lack of trying). The upshot is that I don't get any form of pay-off. The axe-wielder is also hoping that I will be professional enough to do my job for the next four weeks and also train the company to whom my job is being 'outsourced'. Hilarious. Unlikely.

So what do you do? Well if you're me and you're petty-minded and also not that bothered about being branded 'immature', you write weird e-mails to the person who made you redundant and publish them on the internet.

E-mail one
E-mail two
E-mail three

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FWIW, the DTI site seems to think that an implicit contract exists from the moment you start, and they should probably know. According to the redundancy bit of their site, you would only be out of luck if you'd explicitly agreed a fixed term of employment which is coming to an end, which it doesn't sound like from what you say.

"If no contract of employment exists beforehand, one will come into existence as soon as an employee starts work and, by doing so, demonstrates that he or she accepts the job on the terms offered by the employer. The contract need not be in writing."

If you're under contract and being made redundant, you're entitled to 1 week's pay for each year you've worked. Good luck; hope you get it sorted out...

8:38 AM  
Blogger Blue and Brown said...

Thanks very much anonymous.

My only concern is that on paper I am an employee of an agency and not a direct employee of the company for which I work(ed).

Can a contract be negated through the sending of weird e-mails?

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home